Harvest Vegetable Quiche
|9 inch whole wheat quiche shell||1 , glazed with egg white, cooled|
|Swiss cheese||4 Ounce, well chilled|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Zucchini||1 Small, scrubbed|
|Carrot||1 Small, pared|
|Fresh mushrooms||8 Ounce|
|Half and half/Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1 Pinch, freshly ground|
1. With a grater or using the shredding disc of a food processor, grate the cheese.
2. With a knife or using the slicing disc of a food processor, slice the mushrooms.
3. With a knife or using the metal blade of a food processor, chop the garlic and onion.
4. With the shredding disc of a food processor, cut the zucchini and carrots julienne.
5. In another bowl, mix the eggs, salt, thyme and pepper.
6. Continue mixing while you pour the half &half, and blend well.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 375Â°F.
8. Place a skillet over medium heat and heat 1 tablespoon oil.
9. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 4-6 minutes until soft.
10. Add the carrots and zucchini and saute for 2-3 minutes more.
11. Remove the vegetables to a bowl and keep aside.
12. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and add the mushrooms.
13. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft and liquid evaporates.
14. In the pastry shell, spread the cheese on the bottom.
15. Layer with vegetable mixture, and then the mushrooms.
17. Place pastry shell on a cookie sheet and pour in the custard mixture carefully.
18. In the oven, bake in the center rack for 35-40 minutes, until custard is firm, puffy and lightly browned.
19. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
20. Serve cut into wedges.