Zucchini And Green Chile Quiche
|9 inch whole wheat quiche shell||1 , cooled (Glazed With Egg White)|
|Zucchini||3⁄4 Pound, scrubbed|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, well chilled|
|Monterey jack cheese||2 Ounce, well chilled|
|Canned whole green chilies||2 , rinsed and seeded|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Half and half/Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pepper white||To Taste, freshly ground|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. With a grater or using the shredding disc of a food processor, shred the cheeses and the zucchini.
3. Place the zucchini in a colander mixed with Â½ teaspoon salt for 30 minutes.
4. Drain the zucchini and dry with paper towels.
5. In a bowl, mix the cheeses.
6. With a knife or with the slicing disc of a food processor, slice the onion.
7. With a knife or using the metal blade of the food processor, chop the chilies coarsely.
8. In a bowl, place the eggs.
9. Continue mixing while you pour the half & half, salt, and pepper and blend until smooth.
10. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and heat the oil.
11. Add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes, until onion is soft.
12. Add the zucchini and cook for a while.
13. Add the flour, and toss together.
14. In the quiche shell, spread half the cheese mixture in a layer, then the zucchini mixture.
15. Sprinkle with chilies and top with the rest of the cheese. Place the shell on a cookie sheet.
16. Pour the half & half custard on the shell.
17. In the oven, place in the center rack and bake for 15 minutes, and then, reduce the temperature to 350Â° and bake for another 20 minutes, until custard is firm, puffy and lightly browned.
18. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
19. Serve cut into wedges.