Low Fat Spinach Quiche
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Low fat cream cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Ice water||4 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, thawed and drained (1 Package)|
|1 % low fat milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Low fat cream cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh herbs||2 Tablespoon (Such As Parsley / Basil / Chives)|
1. To make the pastry in a large bowl, combine both flours with salt.
2. Add oil and cream cheese and, using a pastry blender or 2 butter knives, blend into the flours until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Add water, a little at a time to bind the mixture into a dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly with your finger tips until soft and smooth.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
5. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over moderate heat.
6. Add and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
7. Add the spinach and sauté until all the moisture evaporates.
8. Take pan off the flame and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
In another mixing bowl, combine the milk, cream cheese, flour, eggs, egg whites, herbs, salt, and pepper.
9. Beat the mixture with a wire whisk until well blended.
10. On a flour dusted surface, lightly roll out the cooled pastry dough into a 10-inch circle.
11. Neatly line a 9-inch pie tin or quiche pan with the pastry, trimming the extra pastry at the edges.
12. Spread the spinach mixture in the pie shell.
13. Pour over the egg mixture.
14. Bake the pie on the middle level of the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Until the filling has set and the pastry is golden brown.
15. Remove the quiche from the oven and rest it for 10 minutes.
16. Cut the quiche into equal size wedges and serve warm.