Garden Vegetable and Goats Cheese Quiche
|For the pastry|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (200 Grams)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, roughly chopped (100 Grams)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Grams)|
|Courgettes||3 Ounce, sliced at an angle (Baby Or Regular, 85 Grams)|
|Beans||3 Ounce, stringed, halved lengthways and slice (85 Grams)|
|Frozen peas/Fresh peas||3 Ounce (85 Grams)|
|Continental salad onions||3 , stems chopped and bulbs quartered|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Full fat soft goats cheese||110 Gram, sliced (1 Log)|
|Vine tomatoes||3 Small, quartered|
1. Make the pastry: tip the flour and 1/2 tsp salt into a food processor, add the butter, then pulse together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the egg, then blend again to make a firm dough. To make by hand, rub the butter into the flour with j your fingers and use the blade of a knife to bind the mixture with the egg - don't overmix or you will end up with tough pastry. Wrap in cling film, then chill for 30 mins.
2. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and put a flat baking sheet inside. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 24cm round, loose-based deep flan tin. Trim overhanging pastry by running the rolling pin over the top of the tin. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork, then cover it with a large sheet of baking parchment and spread baking beans on top. Lift the flan tin on to the hot baking sheet, then bake for 10 mins. Remove paper and beans, then bake the pastry case for 10 mins more until it looks the colour of shortbread.
3. Turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then cook green vegetables and onions for 5 mins, stirring until starting to soften. Tip the milk and flour into the pan, then stir over the heat until it thickens to a smooth sauce. Cool for 5 mins or so, stirring to stop a skin forming.
4. Beat eggs into the sauce and season generously. Pour into the pastry case, then scatter with the goat's cheese and tomatoes.
5. Bake for 40 mins until the filling is set and turning golden. Cool for a few mins before taking from the tin. Serve warm or cold with a green salad.