Black Eyed Peas And Barley
|Dried black eyed peas||8 Ounce|
|Pearl barley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Smoked ham hock||12 Ounce (1 Whole)|
|Chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground allspice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Defatted chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs) (Homemade)|
|Shredded coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh lime juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||4 , seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice (For Garnish)|
1. Check the beans for stones and discard.
2. Rinse the beans and soak it overnight in a bowl.
3. Next morning drain and rinse the beans.
4. In a medium-size saucepan, place barley and cover with the water.
5. Over high heat, bring the barley mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
6. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes until barley is tender but not mushy.
7. Drain barley to remove excess water if any and keep aside.
8. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over low heat.
9. Stir in onions and cook for 5-7 minutes until wilted.
10. Add the peas, ham hock, garlic, bay leaves, allspice, and chicken broth.
11. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
12. Simmer for about 40-45 minutes until the peas are tender.
13. Skim off the foam from the surface of the pot.
14. Add more broth if required.
15. Spoon out ham hock and allow it to cool enough to handle.
16. Separate meat from the bones and return it to the pot.
17. Add the barley and coconut into the pot.
18. Season with salt and pepper.
19. Stir gently to combine.
20. Heat through just before serving.
21. Add lime juice and parsley.
22. Serve in shallow bowls.
23. Garnish with the diced tomatoes.