Sifted all-purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking powder - 3 teaspoons
Ground cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
Ground nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Apple - 1 cup, peeled and shredded
Brown sugar - 2/3 cup
Walnuts - 1/4 cup, chopped
Milk - 2/3 cup
Eggs - 2, beaten
Shortening - 1/4 cup, melted and cooled
Whole wheat or bran flakes - 1 cup
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
3) Then stir in the shredded apple, sugar and walnuts.
4) In another bowl, combine the milk, beaten eggs and shortening together.
5) Pour into the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
6) Fold in the whole wheat or bran flakes, mix thoroughly.
7) Spoon the mixture in greased muffin pans until 2/3 capacity.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
9) Serve the Spicy Fruit Puffs on a platter.