|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Deep fat||2 Cup (32 tbs), for deep frying|
1) In a saucepan, heat buttermilk to lukewarm.
2) In a large bowl, combine the sugar, shortening, salt, and soda.
3) Stir in the buttermilk.
4) Add in 1 cup of flour and yeast and beat till smooth.
5) Beat in the eggs and add the walnuts and remaining flour.
6) Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
7) Punch down the dough.
8) Let it stand for 30 minutes.
9) In a skillet, heat deep fat.
10) Drop the dough from a teaspoon into the fat containing vinegar.
11) Deep fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
12) Serve as a snack.