1) Add the sugar and cornstarch to a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, and whisk together to get rid of any lumps.
2) Add the milk and salt and bring the mixture to a light boil. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
3) Take the mixture off the heat and set it aside.
4) Whisk the egg in a large bowl and while whisking, add 1/2 cup of the milk liquid slowly.
5) Keep whisking to keep the egg from cooking.
6) Incorporate all the milk liquid into the egg gradually.
7) Put the mixture back into the saucepan and place the pan over medium high heat.
8) Add the almond extract and cook for about 3 minutes, till the mixture has thickened.
9) To serve, transfer the pudding into custard cups or decorative glasses. Garnish with toasted almonds and then serve. The pudding can be served while still warm or refrigerated for about 30 minutes and then served cold.