Steak And Mushroom Pudding
|Beef||500 Gram, trimmed and cubed|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Small button mushrooms||100 Gram, cleaned|
|Brown stock/Water and 1/2 beef stock cube||430 Milliliter|
|Boiling water||900 Milliliter|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|For suet pastry|
|Self raising flour||225 Gram|
|Beef suet||100 Gram, shredded|
|Cold water||150 Milliliter|
1) Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the meat in it.
2) In the cooker, put the meat, onion, mushrooms, stock or water and stock cube and bay leaf.
3) Place the lid to close the cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
4) Reduce the pressure quickly.
5) Remove the bay leaf and allow the meat to cool slightly.
6) Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
7) Meanwhile make the suet pastry.
8) In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
9) Stir in the suet with sufficient cold water to form an elastic dough that leaves the sides of the bowl cleanly.
10) On a floured board, turn the dough and knead lightly.
11) Take two-thirds of the pastry and roll into a round large enough to line a 900 ml/1 1/2 pint pudding basin.
12) Grease the basin with a little butter or margarine and line with the pastry.
13) Roll out the remaining pastry into a round large enough to form a lid for the pudding basin.
14) Put the meat mixture into the pastry-lined basin.
15) Add sufficient gravy so that the basin is two-thirds full, reserve the remaining gravy to serve with the pudding.
16) Wet the edges of the pastry lid, place over the meat and seal the edges well.
17) Cover with a double layer of greased greaseproof paper or a single thickness of greased aluminium foil, pleated in the centre to allow for expansion.
Tie down with string.
18) Have the water and a little lemon juice boiling in the cooker and add the trivet, rim side down.
19) Stand the pudding on the trivet, close the cooker and steam gently, without the weights, for 10 minutes.
20) Raise the heat, bring to L or H pressure and cook for 30 or 20 minutes accordingly.
21) Reduce the pressure slowly.
22) Taste and adjust the seasoning of the reserved gravy, 23) Thicken the gravy, if liked.
24) Serve the gravy with pudding.