Sticky Toffee Pudding
|Unsalted butter||3 Ounce|
|Light muscovado sugar||4 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Golden syrup||6 Tablespoon|
|Chocolate slab cake||10 Ounce (Packaged Variety)|
|Walnut pieces||2 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||3 Drop|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint|
|Banana||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Icing sugar||1 Teaspoon (For Dusting)|
|Mint sprigs||2 (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
2. In a saucepan, add 2 ounce butter, 4 ounce muscovado sugar and the golden syrup and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat of the sugar mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened and syrupy.
3. Cut the cake into thick, even slices and arrange in a small, buttered roasting tin. Sprinkle with the brandy.
4. In a small frying pan, add walnuts and dry-fry until toasted. Sprinkle the walnuts over the chocolate slices.
5. To the sugar mixture, add the vanilla essence and cream and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring.
6. Pour the toffee sauce over the cake to coat it completely. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cake is lightly toasted.
7. Pare the rind from the orange and squeeze out the juice. Peel the mango, slice the flesh. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
8. In a frying pan, melt the remaining butter, add banana, mango and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Fry for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to soften. Pour in the orange juice, add the rind and bring to the boil.
9. Preheat the grill. Flash the pudding under the grill to lightly toast.
10. On to warmed serving plates, spoon the pudding, add the fruit mixture and a scoop of the ice-cream.
11. Dust with icing sugar, decorate with mint sprigs and serve at once.