Steamed Date Pudding
|Melted shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Dates||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), pitted, chopped|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Black walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) In a large bowl, mix together shortening, brown sugar and eggs. Add in the dates. Stir well.
2) In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
3) Next, fold in the lemon rind and walnuts. Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if the pudding is too dry.
4) Transfer the mixture into 8 separate greased mould to fill up to 2/3.
5) In a covered kettle filled with 1" hot water, steam the moulds in the rack for about 1 hour. You may even steam using a pressure pan.
6) Serve the Steamed Date Pudding with fluffy hard sauce on the side.
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.9%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 42.3 mg14.1%
Sodium 249 mg10.4%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12.1%
Sugars 37.1 g
Protein 5 g10.2%
Vitamin A 8.8% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 8.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet