|Sifted all-purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped dates/Figs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Condensed tomato soup||1 Can (10 oz)|
1) Grease a 1 1/2-quart mold.
2) Into a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
3) Take a little of the spice mix and dust over the dates or figs. Keep them aside.
4) In a bowl, add in the sugar, egg and shortening. Mix well after adding each ingredient into the bowl.
5) Fold in the dusted dates or figs.
6) Pour the mixture into the greased mould. Wrap it well with aluminium foil.
7) In a large kettle, place a trivet and the mould over it.
8) Pour in boiling water into the kettle, to reach half the height of the mould.
9) Cover the kettle. Steam the cake for about 2 hours or till done.
10) Once steamed, take the pudding out of the kettle.
11) Loosen its edges gently with the tip of a knife. Do this while the cake is still hot.
12) Serve the Steamed hot, drizzle with Foamy Sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3641 Calories from Fat 543
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g94.8%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.1%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 2940.3 mg122.5%
Total Carbohydrates 752 g250.6%
Dietary Fiber 42 g167.9%
Sugars 449.7 g
Protein 51 g102.8%
Vitamin A 24.5% Vitamin C 21.4%
Calcium 137.4% Iron 122%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet