Black Currant Pudding
|Beef suet||1⁄2 Pound, ground|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Dried currants||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed candied fruits and peels||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dark raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , slightly beaten|
|Brandy/Rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Confectioners' sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
1) Combine together the crumbs, suet, flour, sugar, chopped almonds, mixed fruits, currants, nutmeg, raisins, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
2) In a different bowl, combine together the brandy or rum, eggs, milk, lemon peel and lemon juice. Mix well and stir the mixture into the fruit mixture.
3) Mix well.
4) Into a well-greased 7 ½-cup ovenproof bowl or mold, turn the concoction. Cover tightly.
5) In a deep kettle or Dutch Oven, place the mold or bowl on rack.
6) Into the kettle, pour the boiling water to 1-inch depth. Cover the kettle.
7) Boil the water gently, steaming the pudding for about 5 hours.
8) Once the pudding is cooked, remove the mold from the kettle.
9) Cool the pudding for about 30 minutes while it is in the mold.
10) Unmold the pudding and let it stand till it is completely cooled.
11) Wrap in foil and store the pudding in the fridge till it is time to serve.
12) To make the Hard Sauce, thoroughly cream together the butter or margarine and 4 cups of sugar. Add the vanilla and mix well.
13) When it is time to serve, remove the pudding from the fridge.
14) To reheat, place the foil-wrapped pudding on the rack in a Dutch oven or deep kettle.
15) Steam the pudding for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
16) Serve the pudding while it is still warm, with the Hard Sauce on the side, or poured over the pudding. Makes a good dessert.