Rice Pudding De Luxe
|Mixed glace fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Long grain rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean/1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract||3 Inch (1 Piece)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped|
1. Marinate the glace fruits in the kirsch. Soak the rice in hot water for 1/2 hour. Drain.
2. In a heavy saucepan combine 2 cups of milk, the salt and the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, for approximately 20 minutes. Add a little more milk if it seems to be drying out.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl. Let stand for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
4. Separate the eggs and beat the yolks lightly with the sugar. Stir in the remaining cup of milk. Pour into the top half of double boiler standing in hot water. Over gentle heat, cook, while stirring, until thickened. The mixture should generously coat the back of a wooden spoon. Add the softened gelatin. Stir until dissolved and strain into the rice mixture. Mix and chill until it begins to set. Fold in the marinated fruits and vanilla extract.
5. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the rice mixture and spoon into a lightly oiled 1-quart mold or souffle dish. Chill for at least 4 hours.
6. Unmold and garnish to your liking. I suggest fresh strawberries and rosettes of whipped cream.