|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce|
|Cornflour||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||1 Drop|
|Walnuts||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1) In a dry saucepan, place the sugar.
2) Place the pan over moderate heat and stir until the sugar has turned to a caramel.
3) At first, as the sugar melts on the base of the pan, the mixture will become lumpy, but continue stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
4)Allow the caramel to become a good golden-brown colour and then remove fromthe heat.
5) Add around 1/4 pint (1 1/2 dl) of the milk.
6) Again place over the heat and stir until the caramel has dissolved and flavoured the milk.
7) With the addition of a cold liquid the caramel in the pan goes very hard, but it will re-soften as it is stirred over the heat.
8) Again heat until almost boiling.
9) In a separate basin blend the cornflour with the reserved 1/4 pint (1 1/2 dl) of cold milk.
10) Add little of the hot, flavoured milk.
11) Blend well and return to the saucepan.
12) Mix constantly over the heat until the mixture has come up to the boil and has thickened evenly.
13) Remove from the heat and add the vanilla essence and the butter.
14) Stir until the butter has melted.
15) Pour into individual serving dishes.
16) Decorate the top with a few finely chopped walnuts and set aside to cool.
17) Serve warm or cold with cream or with tinned pears.
Calories 272 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.2%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.6 mg6.5%
Sodium 49.4 mg2.1%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 0.35 g1.4%
Sugars 34.7 g
Protein 4 g9%
Vitamin A 4.2% Vitamin C 0.08%
Calcium 14.1% Iron 1.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet