A Greengage Pudding
|Greengages||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Pinch|
|Whole meal flour||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Raw cane sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Eggs||4 , beaten|
|Sea salt||1 Pinch|
|Natural vanilla essence||2 Drop|
|Vegetable oil||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
1. Wash and dry the greengages
2. Cut the greengages in half and discard the stones
3. Place the greengages in a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon
4. Leave to soak for 1 hour
5. Coat a shallow earthenware baking dish with the oil.
6. Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C (Gas Mark 6)
7. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and beaten eggs to make a smooth, thick batter.
8. Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla essence, as well as, a residue of the brandy which has been soaking the greengages.
9. Heat the baking dish in the hot oven for 10 minutes. Pour in half the batter and bake on the top shelf of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until well-risen and puffy.
10. Remove the dish from the oven and arrange the greengages on top of the batter.
11. Cover the greengages with the remaining batter and bake for a further 40 minutes on the middle shelf, until golden and risen.
12. Serve hot
Cooking this dish in this method ensures that the outer layer is cooked crisp and crusty and the interior is soft and crunchy
Calories 408 Calories from Fat 142
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 169.2 mg56.4%
Sodium 96.6 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.6%
Sugars 32.1 g
Protein 8 g15.9%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 14.4%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet