Apple And Almond Paradise Pudding
|Long grain rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Milk||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Apples||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Cooking apples||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Heavy cream||6 Tablespoon|
|Apricot jam||4 Tablespoon|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Ground almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||2 Tablespoon, sliced|
|Sliced almonds||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, put the rice and milk and bring the mixture slowly to the simmering point.
2) Cover the pan with a lid and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes or till the rice has cooked well otherwise but is still a little hard in texture. During cooking, stir frequently to prevent any sticking.
3) Use vanilla extract and some sugar to sweeten the rice to taste. Keep aside and allow to cool.
4) Peel and core the apples and then slice them.
5) In a saucepan placed over low heat, put 8 tablespoons of sugar along with 1 ½ cups of water. Stir till all the sugar has dissolved.
6) Bring the syrup to simmering point and then add in the apple slices. Gently cook for about 5 minutes or till the apples are tender but still shapely.
7) Carefully life the apple slices into a colander and drain them. Allow to cool.
8) Lightly whip the cream and fold it into the cooled rice.
9) Over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish of 7-inches or a pie plate, spread the apricot jam. Cover the jam with apple slices and spoon the creamed rice all over them.
10) For the topping, beat an egg white till it is stiff. Mix together the sugar and ground almonds and fold the mixture in the egg white.
11) Over the rice, spoon the entire mixture and on top, scatter sliced almonds.
12) For a few minutes, put the dish under a hot broiler till the almonds are golden and crisp.
13) Serve right away.