Holiday Plum Pudding
|Fine fresh bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Hot milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground suet||3 Ounce|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Strawberry jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lexia raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sultana raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped dates||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped figs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Halved candied cherries||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Red)|
|Diced candied pineapple||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Mixed candied peel||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Take a bowl, mix bread crumbs into milk and allow the mixture to cool.
2) In large bowl, combine the suet, eggs, sugar, molasses, jam, orange rind and juice, lemon rind and juice, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and mix with quick light sweeping motions.
3) Now whisk in bread crumbs-milk mixture.
4) Add the lexia and sultana raisins, dates, figs, cherries, pineapple and candied peel, mixing well.
5) Take a 8-cup (2 L) greased heatproof pudding mould and spoon the mixture into it.
6) Take a large piece of waxed paper and make a wide pleat and place over the mould.
7) Use more foil to press down side of mould and fasten with a string tightly around the mould.
8) Take a large saucepan and place the mould on the rack and pour in enough boiling water till two-thirds up sides.
9) Cover the pan with lid and simmer over moderate heat, adding water so as to maintain level,cook for about 4 hours or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
10) Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
11) Remove the foil,grasping the mold and plate firmly together, turn the mould over. The pudding should slide out easily.
(Pudding can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to 2 months or frozen for longer storage. To reheat, return to mould, cover and steam for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.)
12) Plum pudding is traditionally accompanied by Cumberland Rum Butter or Brandy Butter.