Slow Cooked Fruit Pudding
|Bread slice||4 , cut in eights|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , lightly beaten|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Suet||6 Ounce, put through grinder or chopped|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs), seeded|
|Cut up dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), pitted|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mixed candied fruits and peels||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), ground|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
1. In a deep dish place the bread pieces and cover with milk. Let soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Butter a 2-quart pudding mold or a baking dish.
3. In a 3- quart slow-cooker or crock pot, place a rack or stand and pour about 1 inch of hot water into the pot.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, orange juice, suet and vanilla.
5. Stir until thoroughly blended but not frothy.
6. On a wax paper or into a clean dry bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
7. Stir the nuts and fruits into the flour mixture.
8. Fold the dry ingredients, in batches into the egg mixture and make a smooth batter.
9. Add the soaked bread to the batter and stir to mix well.
10. Pour the mixture into the greased mold.
11. Cover the mold with foil, seal at rim and tie with string keep it in place.
12. Place the mold on rack in the pot.
13. Cover the pot tightly with its lid.
14. Steam the pudding on HIGH for about 6 hours or if you are in no hurry, cook on LOW for about 12 hours until the pudding is set and a skewer comes out clean.
15. When done, remove mold from pot.
16. Rest covered for 15 minutes to cool.
17. Unmold pudding on a serving platter and serve warm.
Calories 939 Calories from Fat 352
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.4%
Saturated Fat 18.2 g90.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98.9 mg33%
Sodium 551.7 mg23%
Total Carbohydrates 142 g47.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g29.7%
Sugars 100.8 g
Protein 11 g22.1%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 12.3%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet