1) In a thick frying pan, over very low heat or in moderate oven, brown the oatmeal.
2) In a saucepan, over low heat, heat some of the fat and sauté onions in it until golden.
3) Add in oatmeal, salt and black pepper, mixing well.
4) In a pudding cloth, tie the mixture loosely to resemble a dumpling or into 2 x 2-pint pudding basins, pack the mixture without covering.
5) Cover the basins with water so that it reaches only halfway up their sides and boil for 1-1 1/2 hours.
6) Along with rich gravy, serve the puddings hot and complete with greens sliced and fried in a little oil until brown and crisp and fried tomatoes and boiled swedes and carrots.