White Mountain Pudding
|Farina||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Seedless green grapes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Purple plums||14 Ounce|
The day before serving: 1.
For the pudding, in a large kettle, bring the milk to the boil.
Gradually add farina, stirring constantly.
Then stir in 1 cup granulated sugar, salt and almond extract.
Sprinkle in nutmeg.
Grease a 2-quart mould well.
2. Cook farina over low heat, stirring con- stantly for 10 minutes, or until very thick.
Then pour the mixture into a greased mould.
3. Let the mould set at room temperature until cool; then refrigerate.
About 30 minutes before serving, on the next day: 1.
Drain canned plums, reserving both the plums and their juice.
For the sauce:
1. In a saucepan combine 1/4-cup granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt.
Gradually stir in plum juice, plus water, if necessary, to make 2 cups in all.
Then stir in corn syrup and 1/2-tspn.almond extract.
2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until clear and thickened.
Then stir in a little red food colouring to tint delicately.
3. Now set mould of pudding in hot water for 2 minutes; invert serving plate over top of mould; invert both and carefully lift off mould.
4. Garnish pudding with drained purple plums and tiny bunchlets of grapes.
Spoon some sauce over pudding; pass the rest.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4198 Calories from Fat 603
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g103.7%
Saturated Fat 38.2 g190.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 189.2 mg63.1%
Sodium 4664.7 mg194.4%
Total Carbohydrates 853 g284.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51%
Sugars 504.6 g
Protein 84 g168.4%
Vitamin A 68.3% Vitamin C 92.1%
Calcium 228.4% Iron 56.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet