Baked Tomato Pudding
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Fresh basil leaves/1 tablespoon dried basil||6 Large|
|Unsalted butter||5 Teaspoon|
|Firm white bread slice||1|
|Freshly ground white pepper||To Taste|
|Unseasoned bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Italian green peppers||1 (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees and place a rack in the oven’s top half.
2) Use vegetable oil to grease 4 ovenproof dishes or 1 ½-cup ramekins.
3) Into a medium sized bowl, put the tomatoes.
4) Peel and finely chop enough onion to make up for 1/3 cup. Wash the basil leaf, if being used. Chop it finely.
5) In a small heavy-gauge skillet placed over medium flame, melt 1 teaspoon of butter. Add the basil and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, till the onion has turned soft and translucent.
6) While the onion is cooking, cut the bread slice into cubes measuring ½-inch each and add to the tomatoes in the bowl.
7) Add in the basil and onion mix alongwith the sugar, salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir well to combine all the ingredients. Wash the skillet and dry it.
8) Among the prepared dishes or ramekins, divide the tomato pudding mixture. Level the tops with spatula and sprinkle breadcrumbs lightly all over. Dot each serving with 1 teaspoon of remaining butter.
9) Reduce the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees and bake the pudding on the rack for 30 minutes.
10) Wash the pepper and dry with a paper towels. Next, slice it into rings which are about 1/8-inch thick. Remove the ribs and seeds and discard them.
11) Take the pudding out of the oven and garnish with the rings of pepper.
12) Serve immediately.