Corn Pudding with Chilies and Cheese
|Corn ears/Two 10-ounce packages frozen kernels, thawed||4 Medium|
|Green chilies/3 canned chilies, rinsed, drained, and patted dry||3 Large, roasted, peeled and seeded (Medium Hot)|
|Monterey jack/Danish havarti||3⁄4 Pound|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Preferably Stone-Ground)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
1) Keep baking dish in cold oven and heat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Husk fresh corn and trim the stub of the cob. To remove the corn, hold the cob in one hand and dissever the kernels. That should leave you with around 1 3/4 to 2 1/3 cups of corn kernels.
3) Pare the scallions, rinse under cold water, and dab dry. Slit into 1/8-inch-thick chunks. Cut chilies into thin slivers.
4) Cut 1 cup of cheese into small cubes and grate the remaining cheese. Keep aside.
5) In a large, clean bowl, take cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
6) In mid-sized bowl, take corn, scallions, beaten eggs, chilies, diced cheese, and buttermilk.
7) Take out the baking dish from the oven. Thaw butter in a dish and coat it evenly.
8) Now, gently stir in the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture.
9) Using a rubber spatula, put the pudding into the hot baking dish, sprinkle some cheese, and put in the upper third rack of oven.
10) Cook in oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden.
11) Take out the pudding from the oven.
12) Serve hot.