Plum Pudding With Brandy Hard Sauce
|For plum pudding|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 Large, separated|
|Dark molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dark seedless raisins||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pitted prunes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced mixed candied fruit||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Berry sauce/Jellied cranberry sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (Do Not Use Margarine)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Brandy||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Make Plum Pudding: In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat 1/4 cup butter and the granulated sugar until light. Add egg yolks, one at a time, blending thoroughly after each addition. Add suet and molasses, and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
2. With mixer at low speed, beat in flour, salt, baking powder and spices until batter is well mixed; it will be stiff.
3. In small bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, using clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised; fold into batter.
4. With wooden spoon, stir raisins, prunes, candied fruit and cranberry sauce into batter. Pour into well-greased 2 1/2-quart pudding mold; cover tightly with its lid or foil tied on tightly with string.
5. Place mold on trivet or rack in 10-or 12-quart kettle. Add boiling water to come three-quarters up side of mold. Steam, covered, over medium-low heat 4 hours. Add more boiling water if necessary.
6. While pudding steams, make Brandy Hard Sauce: In small bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy; add nutmeg. With mixer at high speed, gradually add 1/2 cup brandy in a thin stream, beating until hard sauce is very light and fluffy—about 3 minutes. Spoon into serving bowl; cover, and refrigerate.
7. Carefully remove mold to wire rack; uncover. Invert serving plate over mold;
hold mold and plate; invert; gently remove mold from pudding.
8. To flame pudding: In small, heavy saucepan, over medium-low heat, heat 1/4 cup brandy. When vapor rises, ignite. Carefully ladle flaming brandy over pudding. Serve with Brandy Hard Sauce.