Baked Yellow Squash Pudding
|Yellow squash||4 Pound, scrubbed and sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Yellow onions||3 Medium, peeled and cut in thin wedges|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease a 3 quart baking dish or casserole with butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
3. In a large skillet or a kettle, melt the butter
4. Add onions and squash and sweat for a few minutes until onions are soft.
5. Add water and cover the pan.
6. Simmer squash and onions for 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
7. Remove the lid and simmer squash for 10 minutes until it is mushy and liquid evaporates.
8. Use a fork to mash the large pieces.
9. Sprinkle all the herbs, seasonings and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
10. Turn the mixture into the baking dish.
11. Bake squash for 2 1/2 hours until caramelized.
12. Spoon the squash from the baking dish and enjoy hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 871 Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.4%
Saturated Fat 29.1 g145.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121 mg40.3%
Sodium 1970.5 mg82.1%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g32.9%
Dietary Fiber 24.5 g98.1%
Sugars 51.6 g
Protein 25 g49.3%
Vitamin A 55% Vitamin C 36.8%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet