New Tracy Porter Cooking Video... Goddess Savory Bread Pudding!
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, divided|
|Leeks||3 , chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound, sliced (mixed or any one type)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly cracked|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gruyere cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|French bread loaf||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) (or more)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with butter. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
For The Bread
3. In a baking sheet, arrange the bread slices in a single layer and bake it for around 14 minutes or until browned (shift the pieces one in a while).
4. Remove from oven and let it cool completely. Set aside.
For The Vegetables
5. LEEKS: In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the leeks and garlic. Saute till they turn soft. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
6. MUSHROOMS: In another skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Saute till they render juices and begin to turn brown, about 7 minutes.
7. Pour the balsamic vinegar and white wine. Stir to combine and continue to cook for a few minutes till the sauce reduces. Add the leeks (step 4) to the mushrooms and mix well till combined. Set aside.
8. ASPARAGUS: In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch the asparagus for around 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from boiling water and put it in ice bath and transfer immediately to another bowl. Cut them into 1 inch pieces diagonally. Set aside.
For The Pudding
9. Reheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
10. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add milk, cream, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, parmesan and gruyere cheese. Mix well till combined.
11. Put the leek and mushroom mixture (step 7), asparagus and bread. Mix them well till all are well coated with the liquid (add more milk if it looks too dry).
12. Transfer it into the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly. Let it sit for around 40 minutes or until the bread has soaked all the liquid.
13. Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake for around 1 hour 20 minutes or until it turns brown (if it is getting brown early, cover the baking dish with a foil).
14. Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
15. In a serving plate, slice and serve the savory bread pudding with any salad or as it is.