Slice O Lemon Pudding
|Maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Lightly grease a 9-inch X 9-inch X 2-inch baking tin with oil.
3. Using a sharp paring knife, peel and thinly slice the lemons.
4. Arrange the slices in the prepared tin, slightly overlapping them.
5. Scatter the cherries over the lemons.
6. Sprinkle ½ cup of sugar over the fruit and set tin aside.
7. In a basin, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt
8. In a mixing bowl, combine shortening and remaining sugar.
9. Cream the fat using a hand beater or a wire whisk until light and fluffy.
10. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well blended.
11. Gently fold in the dry ingredients into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
12. Pour 1 1/4 cups boiling water over lemon cherry mixture.
13. Spoon the batter into the tin.
14. Place the tin on middle level of preheated oven and bake pudding for 40 minutes or until set and lightly browned on top.
15. Cut into portions and serve on warm dessert plates.
16. You can accompany the pudding with a lemon sauce or a custard sauce if you like.