Soufflé Rice Pudding
|Short grain rice||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 g, 1/4 cup)|
|Clear honey||45 Milliliter (3 tbsp)|
|Skimmed milk||1 1⁄4 Pint (750 ml, 3 2/3 cups)|
|Vanilla pod/1.5 ml / 1/2 tsp vanilla essence||1|
|Freshly grated nutmeg/5 ml||1 Teaspoon|
1. Place the rice, honey and milk in a heavy or non-stick saucepan, and bring the milk to the boil. Add the vanilla pod, if using it.
2. Reduce the heat and put the lid on the pan. Leave to simmer gently for about 1-1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Remove the vanilla pod, or if using vanilla essence, add this to the rice mixture now. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
4. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and whisk them until they hold soft peaks.
5. Using either a large metal spoon or spatula, carefully fold the eg whites evenly into the rice and milk mixture and tip into a 1 litre / 1 pint / 4 cup ovenproof dish.
6. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the pudding is well risen and golden brown. Serve hot.