Traditional Christmas Pudding
|Raisins/Currants / sultanas||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Dates/Dried figs||2 Ounce|
|Brandy/Dark rum||3 Tablespoon|
|Butter||8 Ounce, softened (250 Gram)|
|Grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon (Of 1 Orange)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon (Of 1 Lemon)|
|Lightly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 Small, beaten|
|Plain flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce, roughly chopped (60 Grams)|
|Fresh breadcrumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Place fruits in a large bowl, snipping dates or figs into small pieces (a). Drizzle with brandy or rum, cover and soak overnight.
2. Cream butter, grated citrus rind and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add beaten eggs, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift together flour, spice, ginger, bicarbonate and salt, add chopped almonds. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with soaked fruit. Stir in breadcrumbs and mix well.
4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 7-8 cup pudding basin, smooth the top (b). Cover with a snap-on lid or a double thickness of greaseproof paper tied on with string.
5. Place basin on an old saucer, rounded-side up, in large saucepan (c). Pour boiling water to come halfway up the sides of basin and place over heat. When water returns to the boil, cover saucepan with a lid. Steam pudding for 3 hours, adding boiling water as necessary.
6. Remove basin from water and allow pudding to cool. Cover basin with foil and store in the refrigerator until required. Before serving, steam pudding for a further hour. Turn out onto a heated plate.
Calories 1181 Calories from Fat 515
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g90.6%
Saturated Fat 31.3 g156.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 282.6 mg94.2%
Sodium 641.5 mg26.7%
Total Carbohydrates 154 g51.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g29.8%
Sugars 94.8 g
Protein 15 g29.6%
Vitamin A 32.8% Vitamin C 27.5%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 19.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet