Regal Steamed Pudding
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Condensed tomato soup||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Brandied hard sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking; soda, cinnamon and nutmeg onto wax' paper or plastic wrap.
2. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed; beat in egg until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, alte nately with tomato soup.
3. Grease an 8-cup steam pudding mold or 2-pound coffee can; sprinkle with sugar to coat well; spoon batter into mold; cover with mold cover or a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil; tie in place.
4. Place mold on trivet or ring of foil in a large kettle. Pour in boiling water to depth of 1 inch. Cover kettle.
5. Bring to boiling; lower heat to just below simmering; cook 3 hours, adding more boiling water, if necessary, or until a long wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean; cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; loosen pudding around edge of mold; turn out onto wire rack