Steamed Apple Date Pudding
|Pitted dates||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Cranberry juice cocktail/Apple cider||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cooking apple||1 Large, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Custard sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Green candied cherries||1 Tablespoon (For Garnishing)|
|Red candied cherries||1 Tablespoon (For Garnishing)|
1. Heavily grease deep 2 1/2-quart heat-safe bowl. Cut foil 1 inch larger than top of bowl to use as cover. Grease 1 side of foil well; set aside.
2. In blender at medium speed or in food processor with knife blade attached, blend dates and cranberry-juice cocktail until smooth; set aside.
3. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and butter or margarine just until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, next 5 ingredients, and date mixture; beat at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 1 minute, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With rubber spatula, gently fold in chopped apple and walnuts. Spoon pudding mixture into prepared bowl. Cover bowl with foil, greased side down, tying tightly with string.
4. Set bowl on rack in 8- to 12-quart saucepot. Pour in water to come halfway up side of bowl, not touching foil. Over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until skewer inserted through foil into center of pudding comes out clean.
5. About 30 minutes before pudding is done, prepare Custard Sauce.
6. When pudding is done, cool in bowl on wire rack 10 minutes; loosen pudding with metal spatula and invert onto warm platter. Garnish pudding with red and green candied cherries.