Green Pea Pudding With Cherries
|Dried split peas||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak dried split peas overnight in water.
2. Bring to a boil, using the same water. Then simmer, covered, until peas are soft (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
3. Strain into a bowl through a fine sieve. Then stir in sugar. Return to saucepan and reheat over very low flame, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
4. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and remaining cold water to a paste. Then stir in over medium-low heat to thicken.
5. Pour into a shallow rectangular pan, to a depth of 1 inch. Let cool; then refrigerate until set.
6. Cut the pudding in 1-inch cubes and pile these, pyramid fashion, on a serving platter. Garnish with maraschino cherries and serve.