Individual Fruit Puddings
|Enriched all purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , well beaten|
|Dark seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pitted dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pieces|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Orange juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange peel||1 Teaspoon|
1. For pudding, grease eight 5-ounce custard cups. Set aside.
2. Peel oranges; slice into cartwheels, and cut into pieces; reserve juice as it collects.
3. Blend flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
4. Beat shortening; add brown sugar gradually, beating until fluffy. Add egg and beat thoroughly.
5. Mix in the orange pieces, reserved juice, raisins, dates, and walnuts. Blend in the dry ingredients.
6. Fill custard cups about two-thirds full with mixture; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Set in a pan and fill pan with water to a 1-inch depth. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
7. Cook in a 325°F oven 2 hours.
8. For Orange Sauce, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Add orange juice and water gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly until thickened; cook over low heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Remove from heat. Blend in orange peel and butter. Keep warm.
10. Unmold puddings while hot onto dessert plates and spoon sauce over each.