Rabbit and Prune Casserole
|Wild rabbit||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Pint|
|Pork rasher belly||8 Ounce|
|Plump prunes||4 Ounce|
|Red currant jelly||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) Preheat the oven to 325F.
2) Clean the rabbit. Slice them neatly into pieces discarding small the bones.
3) Transfer the rabbit into a shallow dish. Add in a sliced shallot along with a bay leaf. Add in the wine. Mix and cover the dish. Let the rabbit marinate overnight.
4) Take the rabbit pieces out from the marinade and transfer into a casserole.
5) Derind the pork rashers and slice into strips. Stone the prunes and fill their cavities with some of the sliced pork. Add in the carrots, shallots and the belly pork into the casserole.
6) Strain the marinade into the casserole.
7) Add in the red currant jelly into the stock. Mix well and pour over the rabbit.
8) Cover the casserole tightly. Place the dish in the centre rack and bake for 1 1/2 hours or till the rabbit becomes soft.
9) Scrub the potatoes but keep their skin on. Bake them.
10) Serve the Rabbit and Prune Casserole with the cooked potatoes on the side.