Sweet Pickled Prunes
|Dried prunes||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Malt vinegar||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Cinnamon piece||2 Inch|
1. In a large mixing bowl or basin, combine the prunes with sugar, vinegar, water and cinnamon.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to marinate overnight.
3. Sterilize 2 preserve jars with tight fitting lids, by heating in the oven or immersing in boiling water for 20 minutes.
1. Transfer the contents of the bowl to a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Place the pan on a medium flame and simmer the prunes for 10 minutes until they are soft.
3. Take pan off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the prunes to a bowl. Leave the liquid in the pan.
5. Using a small paring knife slit the prunes and remove the stones.
6. Pack the sterilized jars with the prunes.
7. Return pan with syrup to a medium flame and boil the liquid for 1 minute.
8. Pour the syrup over the prunes and tightly close the jars.
9. Label jar with date of making and store in a cool dry place.
10. You can use the prunes in salads, in cooking or as a preserve with toast.