Nutty Prune Squares
|Dried prunes||2 Pound, rinsed|
|Lemon||1⁄2 (Use Rind And Juice)|
|Strawberry jam/Raspberry jam||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , peel grated, juiced|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. To make filling, cook prunes until soft in water in a covered saucepan. Cool prunes, remove and discard pits, cut into halves, and force through a food mill. Mix in lemon juice, peel, and jam.
2. To make dough, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until particles are the size of small peas. Add egg, egg yolks, and lemon juice and peel. Mix with a fork until a dough is formed.
3. Divide dough so one portion is enough to cover just the bottom of a 13x9-inch pan. Press dough into pan. On a lightly floured surface, use hands to roll remaining dough into pencil-thin strips.
4. Spoon filling into pan over dough. Sprinkle with walnuts. Make a crisscross effect with dough strips on top of filling.
5. Bake at 350°F until golden brown. Cool. Cut into squares.