Prosciutto Fresco Brasato Al Marsala
|Dry marsala||3⁄8 Pint|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Bay leaves||2 , crumbled|
|Gammon||4 (1 piece, fresh)|
|Onions||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Celery||1 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Beef stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Arrowroot||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry marsala||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large stainless steel bowl or large glass add marsala, olive oil, bay leaves and lemon juice.
3. In the marinade turn the gammon so that it is well moistened. Marinate for 6 hours at room temperature or refrigerate for 12 hours, while turning 2-3 times.
4. Remove marinade from gammon. Dry it using a kitchen paper. In a small bowl strain the marinade.
5. Combine celery, onions and onions. Chop to make small pieces.
( Chopped mixture is called battuto while cooked mixture is called soffritto)
6. In a medium sized heavy casserole add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and heat it.
7. Add battuto. Cook over moderate heat while stirring for 10 minutes, till it is light colored.
8. In a heavy large frying pan add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Add ham and brown it from it fat side downwards. Turn using 2 wooden spoons.
9. In the casserole place gammon on the top section of soffritto when it turns golden brown in colour. In the thickest section of the meat insert the meat thermometer.
10. Remove fat from frying pan. Leave a thin flim on the bottom part of the pan.
11. Pour the strained marinade. Boil over high heat. Scrape small bits which cling to the pan.
12. Add to casserole with beef stock when marinade is reduced to almost half its original quantity.
13. Add more stock, if liquid does not come up to at least 1/2 of the gammon side.
14. On top of the stop, boil the casserole. Place it in the center part of the oven keeping it covered.
15. Braise for 3 - 3.5 hours till the temperature reaches 185°F.
16. In a heated dish, transfer all ham. Let it stand for 15 minutes.
17. Use a fine sieve to strain the sauce. Press vegetables hard so that all their juices are well extracted before throwing the vegetables.
18. Skim fat from the surface.
19. Boil the sauce over medium heat till it reaches its simmering point.
20. In another bowl mix 1 1/2 tablespoons marsala and arrowroot. Stir to dissolve.
21. Stir the arrowroot solution in the simmering sauce.
22. Cook while stirring continuously so that the sauce clears and thicken. Stir continously so that no lumps are formed.
23. Taste to check the seasoning.
24. Carve out thin slices of gammon. In a heated serving dish arrange the gammon slices in rows.
25. Serve Prosciutto Fresco Brasato Al Marsala with sauce. Serve sauce separately too.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2052 Calories from Fat 690
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g119.3%
Saturated Fat 18.7 g93.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2471.5 mg103%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.2%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 213 g426.6%
Vitamin A 172.2% Vitamin C 23.3%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 16.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet