Vegetable Garnish-How To Tips & Ideas
Nothing can make your salad look more attractive than some wholesome vegetable garnish, which you prepare from fresh salad vegetables. You can also use these fresh vegetable garnish ideas to decorate various side dishes and main dishes, as well. Go through the article to know further details on vegetable garnish.
Tools Used for Vegetable Garnish
You should use specific tools to prepare the vegetable garnish, according to your creative idea.
- Vegetable Peeler
- Used for peeling off the skin and making thin slices
- Used to snip off the tops or to make thin cut
- Paring Knife
- Used for all-purpose cutting
- Serrated-edge Knife
- Used to slice vegetables in star or flower pattern
- Used to attach the garnish on main food item
Interesting Vegetable Garnish Ideas
Here are some great ideas on vegetable garnish, which you can easily try at home.
- Make thin slices across the width of the cucumber. Cut a slit from the center to the peel. Gently twist the cut sides in opposite directions.
- Place the curls on salads or curl over few sticks of vegetables.
- Thinly slice the beat and place the slices in a row by partly overlapping each other on a paper towel. Gently start rolling the beet slices from one point to other without breaking the slices. Secure the roll with toothpick. Place on another beet slice and adjust the petals like a rose.
- Use the beet rose to garnish salads. You can also use the individual beet flower to dip in syrup and dust with sugar.
- With a sharp knife, cut carrot in 4-inch long thin sticks. Bunch together and gently tie with seaweed or green onion top.
- Use to garnish salads, fried rice, noodles etc.
- With a sharp knife, peel off the tomato skin in a continuous strip starting from the top end. When complete, gently roll up the peeled skin without breaking by keeping the bright side out. Adjust the rose petals and place tightly in the salad. You can also use a toothpick to secure the flower petals at the bottom end.
- It is a common garnish for salads. You can also use to garnish any savory rice preparation.
Green Onion Curls
- Discard the top portions of the green onions, leaving the white portion and part of green portion intact. With a sharp scissors, make 2 or 3 cuts on the green leaves along the length towards the white portion and stop before the white part. Dip these green onions into a bowl of ice water and place the bowl inside refrigerator to chill. The leaves will automatically curl in outward direction.
- Use these as green onion flowers or trees, according to the length of the garnish. Garnish salads, stir-fry preparations, rice dishes etc with these green onion curls.
Tips on Vegetable Garnish
- Always wash and dry the vegetables, before preparing the garnish.
- To keep the bright colors unaffected, always blanch the vegetables by dipping in boiling water for a minute and then immediately rinsing in cold water.
- Prepare the vegetable garnish just before serving the food. In case you are preparing few days in advance, then store in a dry, airtight packet or box. Dip the stored garnish in water for few minutes to bring back the freshness before using.
So, start experimenting with the garnishing tools to prepare the vegetable garnish as mentioned here. You can also use your creativity to make them unique and attractive for decorating the preparations.