What Are The Alternatives To Pine Nuts
Knowing alternatives to pine nuts are of great concern for some people, who are allergic to pine nuts and thus never try out a recipe made of this item. Also pine nuts, although very nutritious, are expensive and not easily available in all countries. Here are some simultaneous options to pine nuts that can be used to substitute pinoli or pine nuts in recipes.
Pine trees commonly grow in Mediterranean Italy and Spain, parts of North America, and China. Thus pine nuts are often used in cuisines of these countries in sauces, as a garnish, to give a nutty flavor or as a binding agent. If you cannot get pine nuts or are allergic to nuts ,or are not fond of their taste, you can still make the dishes where the recipe lists pine nuts in the ingredients.
Here are some great pine nut alternatives.
Nut Alternatives To Pine Nuts
- Those people who are not allergic to nuts and are only looking for cheaper or more readily available nuts, any of the other nuts can be used as pine nut alternatives in a recipe. Almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, unsalted peanuts are some common alternatives to pine nuts in meat, fish and vegetable recipes, as well as in sauces, chocolates and desserts that call for pine nuts
- Blanched almonds or pistachios can be used as pine nut alternatives in Italian pesto, sauces, risottos, and salads. It’s best to use blanched almonds or raw or lightly toasted pistachios.
- Walnuts are great alternatives to pine nuts in pesto or salads and go very well with ingredients like greens, apples, cheese and fruits, don’t forget the nutritive value of walnuts are very beneficial for good health.
- Other nut alternatives to pine nuts that can be used as substitutes in recipes include hazelnuts, macadamia nuts or raw unsalted cashews. If you just don’t like the taste of nuts, simply omit the use of them in the recipe.
Seeds and non-nut alternatives to pine nuts
There are a variety of non-nut alternatives to pine nuts which can be used as substitutes.
- Roasted pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds are some pine nut substitutes in salads, sauces and desserts. Sunflower seeds make a great pine nut substitute in pesto because they are oily and help in binding and give a nutty flavor.
- Soy nuts, chickpeas, hard cheeses like edamame and dry toasted bread crumbs can also be used as pine nut alternatives in dishes like pesto sauce.
So the next time you come across a recipe that calls for pine nuts, don’t ignore it. You can use the above alternatives to pine nuts in the recipe and still enjoy some healthy and tasty foods.