Growing Cauliflower-Tips and Techniques
The very idea of growing cauliflower, that too in your own patch of garden seems to be a bit unrealistic especially when you keep hearing that is quite an arduous task to grow it properly. However, you don’t have to worry if you equip yourself with a few of the basics required. It will indeed turn out to be a joy when you watch giant big cauliflowers spring forth from your own kitchen garden.
Articles Required for Growing Cauliflower
- Seeds of cauliflower
- Garden Spades and Trowels
- Compost Makers
- Strong Twine
How to Grow Cauliflower
- Opting to plant in a sunny patch is imperative as is the pH of the soil which needs to be between 6.0-7.0. Preparing the well drained yet moist soil with plenty of organic matter is a step that will help your plants to grow properly.
- It is best to start the plants growing indoors from seeds and then transplant them into the holes dug in the selected spot. Creating an elevation resembling a saucer around each of the tiny 6 inch tall plants will help it to remain moist.
- The seeds can be sown directly with each hole containing four of them if you are keen on making a fall harvest. The sturdiest of all plants needs to be retained once the leaves begin to appear.
- Watering the plants properly is another point that you have to keep in mind while growing cauliflowers. At least an inch of water is required for the plants to sustain themselves once they start spreading out.
- Blanching is a required process that is unique to the cauliflower. Circling the plant with the aid of some sturdy twine which can lift up the leaves and protect the heads from too much of moisture and sunlight will enable the cauliflower to grow rapidly.
- Checking the size of the flower heads is necessary once the size increases. It is important to harvest tem before the florets loosen.
Tips of Cauliflower Growing
- It is a good idea to grow the plants from seeds indoors instead of buying diseased plants from the nursery. Cauliflowers are prone to clubroot fungus and avoiding them by any means is essential for a good harvest.
- Switching to the Orange Bouquet variety will help you to avoid blanching and obtain the mature florets within 60 days. This variant is nutritious too with an additional amount of Vitamin A.
Watch your vegetable dishes take on many hues after you learn all about growing cauliflower.
Image Credit- ifood.tv