Growing Tomato- Tips and Techniques
Growing Tomato is considered to be an essential task by all Americans who have the privilege of having a kitchen garden. This red attractive vegetable-fruit is full of vitamins and essential minerals making it an important part of the salad platter as well as a cooking ingredient. Let us check out the facts that will enable you to know how to grow tomato effectively in your own backyard.
There are a few items that you will require while trying to grow tomatoes. The articles that will prove to be invaluable for growing tomatoes include:-
- Tomato Plants
- Gardening Trowel and spades
- Gardening Gloves
- Compost makers
- Shells of eggs
How to Grow Tomato Plants
- It is essential to buy tomato plants after the frost has been eliminated from the ground. Alternatively, you can start growing tomatoes from the seeds indoors just before the last frost of the season.
- It is best to choose an area of soil which has a pH between 6.5 to 7.
- Add fertilizer and compost to the soil to make it conducive for tomato growing.
- Digging a hole a little bigger in size akin to a basketball ball is essential.
- It is now time to crush egg shells and add to the hole in order to provide the required calcium for the plant.
- It is important to plant each plant deep enough to ensure new root formation.
- The minimum distance between the plants have to be about 12 to 18 inches.
- Protecting the plants from cutworms by means of a paper collar is considered to be wise while covering it with cloches will help the plant to withstand any unexpected chill.
- Removing the protection is imperative as spring sets in and this is the time for mulching the soil.
- The trailing vines need support which can be provided by stakes.
- Watering the plants every week so that they remain standing in an inch or two of water is important for proper growth of tomatoes.
- Red, glossy colored fruits are ripe for picking especially when the consistency is mid way between hard and soft.
Tips for Improving Growth
- Sheltering the plant from chilly winds by means of wind breaker trees or trellis can safe valuable plants.
- Seeds need to be hardened indoors and plants placed into the soil when the temperature touches 50 degree F during nights.
- It is essential to spray the mature plants with seaweed extracts or compost tea while watering them in order to harvest a bumper crop of red tomatoes.
Try your hand at growing tomatoes and notice the relish the tastier and healthier salad vegetable on your plate every day.
Image Credit- gardenofeaden.blogspot.com