Growing Garlic- Tips and Techniques
Growing Garlic is not a laborious task at all. In fact, the plant of Allium longicuspis as garlic is known botanically taken about eight months to grow to its full maturity. Let us now try to find out how to grow garlic with the least amount of trouble involved.
You need to be armed with a few of the equipments that can help you to grow garlic in the proper manner. The supplies required include:-
- Bulbs required for growing garlic
- Spade and Trowel
- Things for making a compost heap
How to Grow Garlic Plants
- It is important to select the right area for planting the bulbs. The ground needs to be sunny with a pH hovering somewhere between 5-8 .
- Digging the soil comes next which needs to be between 8-12 inches.
- Adding the right amount of compost mixture in order to fertilize the soil and provide adequate drainage is mandatory too.
- Growing garlic will be ensured only when you plant to plant the cloves into the soil directly.
- Topping the soil with a combination of compost and mulch is essential now to retain the water as well as get rid of the weeds.
- Additional mulching during the winter months helps to keep the cold away from the growing plants.
- Remember to remove the mulch completely once spring arrives so that the soil gets enough warmth.
- The plants turn yellow soon giving you an indication that the garlic pods are ready for harvesting.
- Watering the plants on a weekly basis by providing them with an inch of the life giving liquid is essential as the plants slowly start turning yellow.
- The garlic is ready to be harvested once you notice that at least a third of the plant tops have become yellow in color.
Tips for Improving Growth
- Weeding before planting the bulbs helps in proper growth of the plants.
- Discolored cloves or the ones too small need to be discarded during planting.
- Depth of the soil as well as the spacing between the plants must be increased if you are eager on growing elephant garlics.
- Spraying the growing garlic plant with some compost tea during the spring is recommended by experts.
- Clipping the flowering stalks and leaves is essential for getting a good harvest.
Go on; try your hand at growing garlic now that you have learnt the nitty-gritty associated with it.
Image Credit- buckshort.blogspot.com