How To Grow Broccoli Sprouts
Broccoli sprouts is the name given to very young broccoli plants; around 3-4 days old. plants are rightly called sprouts. These are loaded with nutrients and it is fantastic if you can grow broccoli sprouts at home so that you can access them anytime you wish.
Broccoli sprouts resemble alfalfa sprouts in appearance and can be eaten in salads and sandwiches, etc., but their taste may come as a surprise to you. Broccoli sprouts taste just like raddish and that is because of the presence of a phytochemical. This phytochemical acts as an antioxidant and helps in protecting the body against diseases.
Handy tips to grow broccoli sprouts
Growing broccoli sprouts is not rocket science and can be done easily with a little care and preparation.
- To grow broccoli sprouts, first of all prepare the jar. Clean the canning jar well and also sanitize it.
- Next place a wet towel in the bottom of the jar. The wet towel would ensure that the broccoli seed are kept wet throughout the sprouting process.
- Now after having placed the wet towel, you need to place the seeds on top of it. If you want, you can opt for sanitizing the seeds first before you put them on the towel. For sanitizing, mix one part of household bleach with 9 parts of water and make a solution. Now soak the seeds in this solution for around 20 mins. so that they are sanitized.
- Now put around 1tbsp of broccoli seeds on the wet towel inside the jar. Make sure you have the best quality seeds if you want good sprouts. Most of the shops now have organic seeds and you can opt for them as well.
- After placing the seeds on the wet towel, cover the mouth of the jar with the cloth and put the lid carefully.
- The next step to grow broccoli sprouts is to make sure that you keep the jar in a warm place, but away from direct sunlight. For the broccoli seeds to sprout, they need a temperature which is not above 90 degrees or below 60 degrees, otherwise they will not sprout. So select an appropriate place, and as it might get cold at night, ensure that the place is adequately warm at night too.
- Just make sure that the towel is wet at all times, as moisture is necessary for the seeds to sprout. If you find that the towel is not wet, then spray a little water on it.
- The sprouts will be ready in 5-6 days.
To grow broccoli sprouts, all you need is a canning jar, the one used for canning jams and stuff, water, a cloth to be used as screen, and most importantly some good quality broccoli seeds.
So just follow these instructions and grow broccoli sprouts at home and reap the fruits [sprouts] of your labor!
Image credits-- spacedaily.com