|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), blanched|
1) In a heavy saucepan, stir all the ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved.
2) Heat further without stirring until the mixture acquires a dark amber color.
3) Pour the mixture over a lightly buttered cookie sheet and allow to cool.
4) Break the firm mixture into pieces and pulverize in a blender or a food processor.
5) Store the powder in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
6) Use as required or for sprinkling on cakes, puddings, etc.