Thanksgiving Special Roasted Cornish Hens
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, mince|
|Cinnamon powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Melted unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|For the apricot glaze:|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||2 Large, mince|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Apricot preserves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground sea salt||To Taste|
|Black pepper and cumin powder mixture||To Taste|
|For the orzo salad|
|Orzo pasta||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, drained|
|Butternut squash||1 Cup (16 tbs), dice|
|Italian parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Toasted walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Crumbled feta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Season the Cornish hens with salt and pepper, tie the legs with a butcher twine, set aside in a roasting pan.
3. In bowl combine garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and melted butter, stir and combine.
4. Rub the Cornish hen with the wet rub inside and out.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degree and pour one cup of chicken broth in the roasting pan.
6. Roast the Cornish hen for 60 minutes turning every 30 minutes.
7. In the meantime in a sauce pan, melt butter and sauté the shallots until soft, stir in the wine and chicken broth.
8. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and reduce the liquid to half.
9. After 10 minutes stir in the apricot preserve and simmer until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
10. Season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside
11. In a mixing bowl combine the cooked orzo pasta with butternut squash, Italian parsley, red onion, walnuts, dried cranberries and feta cheese.
12. Give it a good toss and then season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black and white pepper.
13. Remove the Cornish hen and brush the apricot glaze, reserve some for later, place it back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and brush with any leftover glaze.
15. Serve with the orzo salad on the side.
Hens may be brined, drained, rinsed, patted dry and refrigerated up to one day ahead. Skins will also be crisper if refrigerated after brine.