Five Spice Red Braised Pigeons
|Pigeons||16 Ounce (2 In Number, 8 Ounce / 225 Grams Each)|
|Dark soy sauce||15 Fluid Ounce (400 Milliliter)|
|Light soy sauce||5 Fluid Ounce (150 Milliliter)|
|Five spice powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine||5 Fluid Ounce (150 Milliliter)|
|Sugar||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Spring onions||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
1. In a large pot of boiling water blanch the pigeons for 5 minutes.
2. In a medium sized pot mix all the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer.
3. Remove the pigeons with a slotted spoon, discard the water and add the pigeons to the sauce.
4. Cover and braise over a low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until they are tender.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon and let them cool.
6. Cut up the pigeons into bite sized pieces and arrange them on a warm serving platter.
7. To serve, sprinkle the garnish ingredients on top and serve immediately (to serve cold, let the pieces cool down and then sprinkle them with the garnish ingredients refrigerate them well wrapped in plastic wrap until ready to serve them).
The braising sauce may be saved and frozen for the next time to cook this dish.
Calories 364 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.2%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102.4 mg34.1%
Sodium 8790.5 mg366.3%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 0.57 g2.3%
Sugars 22.7 g
Protein 23 g45.9%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 16.3%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 29.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet