Terrine De Faisan
|Pheasant||1 Large (With The Giblets)|
|Uncooked ham||3⁄4 Pound, cut into strips (125 Gram)|
|Pork back fat||1⁄4 Pound, cut into strips (125 Gram)|
|Bacon rashers||3⁄4 Pound (375 Gram)|
|Half fat half lean pork||1 Pound, minced (500 Gram)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Pinch|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Eggs||2 , beaten to mix|
1. With a sharp pointed knife, slice the meat from pheasant carcass.
2. Discard skin.
3. Cut breast meat into strips.
4. Scrape sinews from leg meat.
5. In a bowl, put breast meat with ham and pork strips, pour brandy and Madeira on top. Cover the lid and leave undisturbed to marinate.
6. In a pan, saute 2 chopped rashers of bacon until the fat runs.
7. Add liver and heart from pheasant and saute until brown but still pink in the centre. This will take about 5 minutes.
8. Allow the mixture to cool.
9. In the mincer, work pheasant leg meat and any trimmings with the liver mixture and both the lean and fat pork.
10. Add garlic, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper.
11. Add marinade from meat strips and beat until seasoning is evenly blended.
12. In a frying pan, cook a small piece of mixture.
13. Add seasonomgs to make it spicy.
14. Preheat the oven at 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line the base of a terrine mould with bacon, reserving 2 rashers.
15. Spread a quarter of the pork mixture on the bottom and lay half the ham and pork fat strips on top.
16. Cover with another quarter of the pork mixture and add a layer of pheasant strips.
17. Top with half the leftover pork, followed by l;ftover ham and pork back fat strips and then the rest of the pork.
18. Top with leftover bacon.
19. Set the bay leaf and the juniper berries on top.
20. Cover the lid.
21. Cook the terrine in a water bath for about 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours.
22. Let terrine cool to tepid.
23. Remove lid and set a board just inside the rim of the terrine. Distribute weights on the board and chill.
24. Run a knife to loosen the edges of the terrine and unmould it onto a board.
25. Cut it into slices and serve at once.