Cornish Christmas Dinner for Two
|Frozen cornish game hens||40 Ounce, Defrosted (2 Hens, 20 Ounce Each)|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Chicken broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped coarsely|
|Sea salt/Regular salt - 1/2 teaspoon||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Packaged precooked rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Chop the giblets after removing them from cavities of the hens.
2. In a microwaveable casserole dish, large enough to fit the hens, add the butter.
3. Melt and heat the butter in the microwave oven for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the giblets, onion and celery.
5. Return to the oven and cook for 2 minutes until limp.
6. Stir in the nuts, thyme, seasonings and broth.
7. Arrange the hens, breast side down in the casserole.
8. Cover the dish with its lid or with wax paper and cook hens in the microwave for about 12 minutes.
9. Turn the hens, breast side up and sprinkle paprika over them.
10. Re-cover and return the casserole to the microwave.
11. Cook hens for another 15 minutes or so until tender and juices run clear when thigh portion is pierced with a knife.
12. Remove the chickens to a warm platter or onto individual serving plates.
13. Into the liquid and contents of the casserole, stir the rice.
14. Cover again and cook rice for 3 to 4 minutes in the microwave.
15. Serve the hens with the pilaf on the side.
Calories 1459 Calories from Fat 918
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g156.6%
Saturated Fat 31.5 g157.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 605 mg201.7%
Sodium 1422.3 mg59.3%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 104 g207.8%
Vitamin A 47.9% Vitamin C 11.4%
Calcium 12% Iron 38%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet