Roast Capon With Mushroom Almond Stuffing
|Capon||6 Pound, cleaned|
|White bread cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dry whole wheat bread cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Slivered almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 325° F before roasting.
2) Wash capon in cold water and dry gently after draining well.
3) Add salt and pepper to capon to taste.
4) Mix together bread cubes, almonds, parsley, tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2, teaspoon pepper.
5) In a medium-size skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter and sauté mushrooms and onions for 3 or 4 minutes in it until soft.
6) Pour in stock and then spoon the mushroom mixture over bread cubes, tossing until moistened.
7) Use this dressing to stuff front and inside cavity of bird.
8) With picks or poultry pins, tie the opening and then fasten drumsticks together.
9) In a roasting pan, place stuffed capon and keep it on rack.
10) Apply butter and uncover and roast for 40 minutes per pound in preheated oven, basting often with butter, until leg joint moves easily
11) Serve immediately on warm platter.