Roast Partridge, Jubilation
|Cleaned partridges||4 (Young Ones)|
|Lean bacon slice||8|
|Corn oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Seasoned flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Currant jelly||4 Tablespoon|
|Dry port wine||2 Tablespoon|
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the partridges to season well.
2. Tie the bacon slices over the breasts with kitchen string or fasten with wooden picks.
3. Glaze birds generously with corn oil.
4. Preheat the oven to 450° F
5. Arrange partridges in a shallow roasting pan in preheated oven for 15 minutes, brushing them with oil and turning every 5 minutes so that they are evenly browned.
6. Turn on back and roast until tender and juices run clear.
7. Remove birds from oven and transfer them to a warm serving platter, after removing the bacon strips. Cover with foil to keep birds warm
8. To the juices and drippings in pan, add enough water and loosen browned roasted bits stuck to pan.
9. Blend flour in cold water and stir into pan juices.
10. Bring to a boil on stove top, stirring constantly.
11. Slide in butter and teaspoon of jelly, stirring until melted.
12. Finally flavor with Port if you like or thin gravy with water and bring to a boil, stirring until thick and smooth.
13. Season gravy to taste and strain into a sauceboat.
14. Serve roast partridges with gravy poured on top or served on the side.